Thursday, December 10, 2009

Nina - Project 4
















My goal was to work with the problems at hand (no back or seat) and then let the chair make its own story.
I found another chair which a rounded back which I cut off and attached to my own chair, giving it the feel of a Victorian dining chair.
After my first attempt at arc welding went rather well, I mixed the grungy welded points and the Victorian style to be the basis of my chair's overall concept.
It managed to both contrast in style as well as compliment, with the spackled welding down the arms being the equivilant of the dark floral print.
In the end it had the dark edge I was hoping for, along with the elegance of the Victorian print.

Process:

- cut legs off chair
- cut back and seat off of another chair
- spot weld all pieces together
- find fabric
- hand-sew slip cover
- upholster seat
- build wedge for under seat in woodshop
- sew flap to keep slip cover on chair with clasps
- grunge up chair with arc welder
- finish!





















































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment